Saturday, May 12, 2012

Happy Birthday Carter!

God sent Carter to our house to teach me...and he teaches me everyday...and although I come off as the overbearing parent who is trying to teach him, the lessons I learn are probably far greater and run deep. My greatest regret as a father to Carter is that unfortunately he feels the affect of my weaknesses as a father as I often lose patience with him.  He is a beautiful spirit and always has been.  I haven't quite figured out how to help him channel and control such a unique, active, larger than life spirit, with a physical body that isn't big enough to contain it yet.  In my zeal and desire to "help" Carter understand importance principles of life such as obedience, accountability, and organization, I forget to embrace the uniqueness of his spirit and try to make his personality flow as I believe it should go.

There are a few things with Carter I will probably never understand. I don't understand what he does to his shoes. It doesn't matter what quality or brand they are, he will have the soles worn through in less than a month.  I don't understand Pokemon cards and probably never will...but I had Garbage Pail Kids when I was his age and my parents probably never understood that. I don't understand who taught him his shoulders were an acceptable substitute for a napkin.  I don't understand the fascination with chewing on his shirts, but in folding his laundry the other night, it was obvious he does it often as almost every shirt he owns has a hole in it. But, he's teaching me I don't need to understand everything, just love and embrace his individuality...and suck up the fact we'll spend more money on clothes for him!

So, in honor of Carter on his Birthday (yesterday), the best present I can give Carter is to simply say Thank you.  Thank you for teaching me that there are more important things than having a room organized to "Dad's" standards, especially when my own room doesn't measure up.  Thank you for teaching me that while I often wonder why you always have to have the last word, I should be wondering the same thing about myself....because if you don't have the last word, that means that I had to.  Thank you for reminding me that the last word should be one of kindness.  Thank you for teaching me that it's OK to have interests different from those when I was your age...even if I will never understand them.  Thank you for picking the furthest county away to complete your class report on. Even though we covered 1000 miles in 2 days, it was a meaningful trip for me and one I don't think we would have taken otherwise.  Thank you for teaching me that 10 year old's can still be tucked in at night, and should have time to talk to their father while he lays beside them. Thank you for reminding me that having friends in the neighborhood can mean all the difference in a young boys life, something I had forgotten from my own childhood. I'm really trying to keep us here for a long time! Thank you forgiving me when I lose my patience and raise my voice. You always say "I forgive you" and you truly do.  Thank you for showing me there can be joy in picking different paths in life...paths that I may not choose to travel. Thank you for your example of sharing your testimony, you do it every month. Thank you for showing me love despite my own imperfections.

Happy Birthday Carter. May the next year bring you much joy and happiness.




No comments: