Monday, May 17, 2010

What's happening?

It's been busy around our house this spring. Here are some brief summaries of what we have been doing lately.

Hillary has been involved in many musical performances. This is her piano recital. (I can't get the video to upload for some crazy reason) Hillary is front and center. She also participated in a music festival a few months ago where she played in front of a judge then received a score based on a number of things. This was her first time doing it and she came out with a superior rating! She wasn't even nervous going in. She did very well and I hope she'll do it again next year.


Hillary is in a chorus group at her school and they have had many performances throughout the year. For this one they sang at an event called "Rejoice in the Arts" where local schools performed different types of music. Their group sang a few songs from "The Sound of Music." It has now become the new thing to listen to on the iPod for my kids. Now they just need to see the movie to appreciate it.

(Hillary is on the far left end, middle row) It's a terrible picture!

This is Carter's 8th birthday. Rather than go somewhere like Chuck E Cheese, we had a "Minute to Win It" game night. This one was the feather blowing. They had to keep a feather from touching the ground by blowing it up (no hands) for one minute. No one made it. They also tried to knock down soda cans with rubber bands, get as many "steps" as possible on a pedometer by wearing it on a headband and shaking their heads, and emptying a tissue box with only one hand in 1 minute. They were all very difficult, but really fun to watch!


Carter opened some new church clothes from his grandparents and this was his reaction. No, that's not anger, that's shouting for joy. A little overdone, but I think he really liked them, until I actually made him wear the tie. Then he wasn't so overjoyed. But he sure looked handsome!


The kids get to choose a place to go for dinner on their birthday. Carter has been dying to try lobster for a long time so he chose Red Lobster. We got the huge combo platter that had lobster, crab legs, and shrimp. He decided he LOVES crab legs, hates lobster. It just doesn't taste like anything. He has always loved shrimp. He let the waitress know that it was his birthday and he expected them to sing to him. I think what he really wanted was free ice cream, but they just sang.


My Mother's Day gift this year was a new fire pit. We have talked about getting one for quite some time and just haven't gotten around to it. We have a huge tree that drops tons of twigs and branches into our yard so we collected them and had our first fire. We roasted marshmallows and had super yummy smores! I can get used to that.


Whitney enjoying her roasted marshmallow.

1 comment:

leadatortilla said...

I love the pic of Carter opening the clothes - that is pure excitement! I love the idea of "minute to win it" games - what a hoot!!! I'll have remember that for future parties! Can I come over for smores with ya?