So many memories will go with me when I do leave my current company. It's rough holding down a 20 hour a week job but I'm coping with it. I never thought an 8 hour day would seem so long. Tuesday is my "long" day for the week. Monday and Thursday I work 6 hours. Anyways, for the past year I have been working as the HR Manager as well as the Plant Manager. I've also been involved with HR over the past few years as you can imagine. I'm kicking myself for not writing a book about all the HR experiences I have had. If every other company has experienced what I have, I'm generally amazed at what goes on in organizations today. Here's a few minor gems that have been on my mind lately. I won't even go into the personnel major issues....scary.
I interviewed a girl a few years back. Our 1st question to her was "Will you describe yourself in 3 words?" Her reply was "I AM THE BOMB!" I was half tempted to excuse her at that point but decided I had 10 minutes and wanted to stay for the show. We responded that she had given us 4 words. She showed some progress by making a conjunction and said "I'm the Bomb." We had 9 more questions we didn't get to ask. She spent the next 10 minutes talking, without pausing once, about all her experience that made her "THE BOMB". We didn't hire her.....I don't know how we would have survived the personality.
A guy sent me an application on-line. I was reviewing his information and came to the contact info. Here is his personal email: nuckingfuts@somewhere.com. Are you kidding me??? Who raised this kid? If you want to keep a personal email address like that fine but get a respectable one for business application purposes. "Gosh mom and dad, I'd love to move out but I just can't seem to find a job....hmmmm....it's a mystery"
The HR manager and I once spent the better part of 3 days investigating, interviewing, and doing damage control with employees because someone decided to eat another persons piece of cake......yah.....that's what I thought too. One thing I've learned about people, you can never control what is most important to them. Here was our solution:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn-7Ozvnfdc
1 comment:
Sounds like something right out of a sitcom (The Office).
Post a Comment