We made a goal to attend the temple 6 times this year so we figured if we go every other month we'll make it. June was getting pretty packed with stuff, so we thought Father's Day weekend was a good time to head to Columbia, SC for another temple trip. We are on track so far! We try to keep it fun for the kids since it's a 4 hour drive to get there. It's always an overnighter too. This time we thought we'd add a few hours to our drive and dip our toes in the Atlantic ocean.
The temple was awesome as always. Lesson learned: Friday nights are insane and you better get there at least 30 minutes prior to the session. They pack them in! Saturday morning 7:00 am, no one there. With beach plans, I went Friday night, Brian went Saturday, then we got in our swimsuits and drove 2 more hours to Isle of Palms beach in South Carolina. We thought about Myrtle, but everyone says it's pretty commercialized so we went a little farther south. But it was no less busy!
Lesson learned: do not try to push a stroller filled with a child, a cooler, and towels through the sand. The wheels don't move and you just look like a moron!
Lesson learned: make sure the camera works BEFORE you leave the house. I got there and was so excited to get all kinds of cute pictures and the camera won't even turn on! I had charged it, but something is wrong. I still can't get it to turn on.
Lesson learned: help your spouse apply sunscreen to their back. Brian is beet red from doing it himself.
Lesson learned: get to the beach early to get a decent spot. We were so far from the water we burned our toes walking to the ocean, even with shoes on.
Lesson learned: You can't make a sand castle with really wet sand, it just sticks in the bucket and falls apart.
Lesson learned: rinse off before you get dressed. A few of us found sea shells suctioned to our rear ends when we got home.
Lesson learned: licorice is not good food for the beach. In fact, don't even take a snack bag. EVERYTHING was covered in sand! Nothing like gritty licorice!
We had a GREAT time and look forward to going again. We have never been in water that warm. All our beach trips have been in California in the early spring and we could hardly stand to get in the water. This time we had to cool off in the showers because the water was too warm to be refreshing. We'll try and go again this summer, with a camera that works!
6 comments:
So many lessons learned. I'm glad you and Brian make it to the temple even though it's far away. We miss you guys.
Glad you made it to the temple and the beach. Lots of things on your check-list to remember next time. I'm sure the kids loved warm water even with all the sand.
Hah! Sonia learned that camera lesson when we went to Zions last month. Her battery was dead. Sounds like you still had fun though.
How I wish it was just the battery. The whole camera is dead. Now I'm on the hunt for a new one, again.
Glad you had a fun time, sorry about your camera. Its great you guys are able to make it to the temple!
What a fun trip to the beach! And the temple! I'm grateful for your example - that obviously takes a lot of effort and planning. I hope you get your camera working soon - what a bummer!
Post a Comment