Saturday, July 19, 2008

Reminiscing

Despite the high gas prices, we decided to take a long drive down memory lane tonight. We headed up to the Training Table in Sugarhouse, then went to Sugarhouse park. Brian and I used to go there often when we were dating and first married. We let the kids play for a while and as we walked around the park, we talked about our old running days: places we ran, races we had done in the park, lengths of runs around the park. Highland High is right next to the park so we walked over to the track which brought back the memories of our senior year region track meet. We had just started dating when that meet came around. They even had some hurdles set up on the track and Brian couldn't resist stepping over a few. Carter decided he wanted to run all the way around the track, and he made it around, twice!!! My future track star! Brian decided he wanted to run too and had me time him in a 400 meter run. After 15 years, he has slowed down a bit, but it was fun anyway. Maybe it'll motivate him to take up running again.
Then the kids wanted to roll down the big sledding hill. There happened to be some ice blocks and so we went ice blocking a little. Haven't done that since high school! Then it was time to go, but not home. We drove over to my old neighborhood where I grew up. I had told the kids about a penny that was embedded in the cement of the driveway so we drove over and showed the kids the penny. The house is looking better than the last time I saw it, but still pretty run down. We just drove around all the old neighborhoods, looked at all my past schools, although the junior high is different because it burned down and is being rebuilt now. It was a fun stroll down memory lane for me. I could live there again, except that the houses are all so old and so many are only 1 car garages. I'm spoiled here! It was fun to relive some track days and I look forward to racing in 5K's again next summer!

2 comments:

Abby said...

What a great and meaningful family outing. I learned more about you and your family, too!

Cindy said...

I'm glad the house is looking better.

Every time we go by Sugarhouse Park (which isn't all that often) I think that we should stop. But, we never do. I really would love to just spend a day in Salt Lake roaming around. I'm sure Jaron would just love it. He did drag me all over Iowa...more than once!