Saturday, June 28, 2008

I can be brave!

Carter has become a "true Swensen" now. He has joined our exclusive club and finally had to get stitches in his face. Everyone else has a scar above our right eye, he broke that trend and got cut under his right eye. We were at our family reunion setting up the games and getting ready for lots of fun when he walked in front of a very wild Whitney and her metal golf club. I would never have guessed that my 3 year old could swing well enough to cause that kind of damage. Fortunately, our pediatrician has urgent care hours on saturdays and we didn't have to go to the ER. My cute nephews had just told him all about all the cuts and stitches they had had and the one just had to have glue. He had his hopes up that they could just glue him, but it was too wide for that. The doctor had him all cleaned up and ready to go and he was doing just great, then came the awful numbing shots. I nearly cried when I had to have those. He screamed a good long, loud scream, then was ok. But when she put the first stitch in, he wasn't numb so they had to do more shots. Carter had his hands in his pockets, the nurse holding his head in place, and me holding the rest of him. As she was stitching him up, he just kept saying "I can be brave. I know I can brave. I can be brave." And he was very brave! In the end, he had to get 5 stitches, but stitches are cool! Poor kid, but I guess it had to happen sometime!

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Poor guy. Good thing he's brave!

Ann said...

Tell Carter that I'm glad he was brave. That's a hard thing to have to go through. The photos look great and he looks very brave.

Shawnm750 said...

I got my first set of stitches at age 2, then again at 9, then again at age 13. It's a right of passage that all boys need to take. The important thing is that he understands that scars are cool. However, I'm the only one so far to have had staples, so let him know he hasn't peaked yet.