Sunday, September 14, 2008

New Calling

We got a phone call yesterday from a member of the bishopric. I knew I was up for release from the nursery, but didn't think they'd call both Brian and I in for that. I knew the high priest group leadership is up for change, but knew that was a stake calling. So, not sure what to think, we met with the 2nd counselor today. As we sat down, he mentioned that I was being released from nursery and from Community affairs chairperson. That's nice. But, they had another calling for me. My first thought is, "I'm having a baby in 3 weeks! What could it be???" There are a few callings in the church that I would beg for: primary piano being one of those. There are a few that I'd like to try: Young Women something or other would be good. There are a few that absolutely terrify me and I am grateful when they call someone else to those so I know I'm safe: Primary chorister and Gospel Doctrine teacher. So, when Bro. Heaton looked at ME, not Brian, and said, "we'd like to call you as Gospel Doctrine teacher" I said "you've gotta be kidding!" I don't know enough to teach that! I've been in primary for the past 3 years in this ward and in many more before that. I don't even remember the last time I attended a gospel doctrine class! I have never had a calling to teach anyone over the age of 5 since college! I'm not one to turn down a calling though so I said yes. I won't start until after the baby is born and I'm ready to come back to church. Guess who the sub is for the class though??? Brian! Yep, he gets to teach every other week until I'm there. I just have to trust the bishop on this one and have some faith that this is really where I need to be. I know I need it for me, it will make me read and study, but I fear for the members of the class! I can't just give them smarties and crayons! It'll be good for me, I just keep telling myself that.

6 comments:

Janeece said...

You are going to be so awesome! I have faith in you!! How exciting!!

Rob and Tam said...

Congratulations! Rob just was released from that calling and put into the Elder's presidency. You will do great. Rob said that you should start your first lesson out by handing them all crayons and passing out smarties and tell them to draw a picture of their family. Reward with a smartie. Then you can tell them oops you aren't the primary that is all i am used to teaching. That may break the ice for you. No really, you will be a great teacher!!!! 3 weeks till that baby comes huh? Any names yet?

Cindy said...

I see no problem with smarties and crayons in Gospel Doctrine. I've really liked the teachers in your ward, and I think you'll do great! I'm a lot more interested in the people who think they don't know enough, or aren't good teachers, than the ones who think they know it all. You'll be awesome!

The Brown's said...

Chari- You are going to do great! I am sorry I wont be there to cheer you on! I am in mourning that you will be leaving nursery! We will miss you in primary!

Jared and Tanya's Family said...

That is soooo funny. Chari, I am sorry, but that stinks, because that is one calling I hope I NEVER get. Knock on wood. You will do great. Have fun with subbing Brian.

Sonia said...

I'm thinking no one ever complained about candy....you can tell them they have graduated to colored pencils.