14 years ago, a sweet puppy nicknamed Droolin' Driftwood was born to Brian's family dog, Peaches. He was called Droolin' Driftwood because the front of his tongue was always sticking out of his mouth, whether sleeping, running, playing, etc. Brian brought him over to show my family and my sister fell in love with him. My parents are not animal people, but they couldn't get past his face and bought him for my sister's birthday. Little did they know he was born with some defects and required surgery very early on. It was a tough choice to pay the price to save this little dog, but they did it. As my parents left for Wisconsin, Woody became their baby. He had many, many more surgeries throughout his life and it has never been regretted. He was a good dog and my kids have many memories of him. He was such a part of the family. He even had his own life jacket on the boat.
Today, Woody left us for a much better place. He has been sick for a about a week now and today my parents had to let him go. When my mom told me last night, I was ok with it. Today as I read her email that he would be put to sleep, I got teary eyed and realized he won't be there anymore to chase around the house when we go visit. We will miss him and wish my parents well as they prepare for a quiet home.
Brian and Chari with Shasta (Woody's sister) and Woody as new little puppies. (Woody has the green bows).

Carter as a baby snuggled with Woody. He was a very protective dog too.
5 comments:
Oj that made me cry!! It is always tought to lose a pet! I hope your mom and dad do okay!!
Ah Woody--the last of Peaches puppies (so far as we know). I really loved all of those puppies when they were fresh out of the package and Mom would put them in the plastic swimming pool in the family room. I remember when Shasta and Woody were born we had the reclining couches and so we always had to make sure none of them were under the footrests. I must admit I munched a few puppies. I miss all of those dogs, even crotchity old Peaches! Their little yappy barks, and the sound of tiny puppy claws on the linoleum floor as they would come flying into the family room, hit the carpet and go rolling across the floor. And Woody was always a favorite because he had the "not so bright" look on his face with his little tounge hanging out. There's a reason that dogs are man's best friend and it's because if you love them a little everyday, they'll love you a lot forever.
So, here's to Woody and Shasta, Victoria, Mittens(Poochie), Monroe(Chumly), Baxter, and of course, to Peaches: The grumpy dog that brought them all into our lives.
I am so sorry about your dog! they really are members of your family. You and Brian look so cute in your picture. You look like a mini Hillary and Brian looks like a mini carter!:O)
LOVE that old pic of you and Brian!
I love that picture of you and Brian. That is the best!! I need to see more of when you were young.
Post a Comment