Saturday, June 13, 2009

Hotel Hell

Pardon the language, but there is no other way to describe it. Quick recap on our housing situation that will explain the title. We have been in a really nice 3 bedroom, fully furnished corporate housing apartment. We only had it for 30 days which ended on June 11th. We were then scheduled to move to Kingsport into an extended stay place called the Suites at Bradford Place. Just the name sounds nice. Then we were going to close on our house on the the 18th. No problems! Then we got an email from the Bradford. They could not hold our reservation as the people who were there had decided to stay longer and they no longer had anything available. So, we sort of panicked and started looking for something else for a week. We had 9 nights so we wanted someplace with a pool so we could have something fun to do, but something fairly cheap as well. For some reason, most of the hotels were booked for the weekend. We ended up with the Days Inn for a great price and a pool. We went ahead and booked it, even though it said No Refunds for early departures. Why would we need to depart??? Then we went and looked at the place. NASTY!!! Scary neighborhood! We checked in anyway because we had to be out of the apartment. The smell about knocked us off our feet. The room was more humid than the outside air. The walls were sticky. The carpet was sticky. Did I mention the smell? Because we were homeless otherwise, we stayed for the night, but didn't really sleep at all. It was too hot and sticky, the people next door had just downed an 18 pack of Bud Light, and I feared bed bugs and lice! The next morning, Brian said "we need to see if we can check out and get our money refunded." I had to choke down breakfast and I thought, "Brian is right, there is no way I can stay here!" We thought we'd take a look at the pool and it's a good thing we looked cuz it was empty!!! And there was no internet to our room so I couldn't even get on the computer. I looked at Whitney's socks and they were as black as could be! That was it, I walked to the office and asked the manager if we could check out immediately and only pay for the one night. They said no problem and we RAN out of there.
However, I was now really homeless. Brian had to come home from work and help load up all the bags, then we went to hang out with some ladies from the ward. We met Brian for lunch and tried to set up a new hotel. There really was NOTHING available within 30 miles! What was going on around here? Nothing happened for us at lunch so Brian went back to work and I took the kids to the children's museum. That was really fun, but more about that later. Then it was phone call after phone call to work out something. Brian finally discovered that there was a Jehovah's Witness convention in town this weekend, that's why there were no hotels. He had the HR manager on top of helping us find something, all the while I'm killing time with the kids with no where to go! That's an awful feeling!
Fortunately, the HR lady had the idea to see if we could get back into the apartment. It's just really pricey, $125 a night! But then she decided to get the company to pay for it and here we are again, back into the 3 bedroom, cook my own food, not humid, pool with water apartment.
On our way to breakfast at the Days Inn there were some guys walking back to their room. The look I got and the way they said hello put true fear into my heart! I'm so grateful that things worked out for us and in the end we got to come right back where we started! The Lord works in mysterious ways, but I am grateful for the blessing of having a nice roof over my head again. Now, I just hope my loan doesn't have any issues and I'll have a house next Thursday!!!

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Oh gosh, that sucks! I'm glad you're back in the apartment. I actually felt the same way when we went to Las Vegas. Our hotel was pretty nasty, so Kaden and I hung out anywhere but there while Jaron was at his classes. We were very ready to get home after that. I hope all goes well with the home!

Jared and Tanya's Family said...

That stinks. So sorry, you must have felt so helpless. Glad things worked out in the end. Good luck on closing.

leadatortilla said...

AAAAAAHHHH!! I'm gasping! That's horrifying! And I'm so relieved that things did work out for you! WOW! Goodness.... I'm so glad that it all worked out - but what a crazy 2 days!!!!

Sonia said...

The title for your post was also the title of one of the funniest "scary" movies I've ever seen. Hopefully in years to come, this will be a funny story for you to tell.

Stephanie said...

That must have been just terrible. What an experience though, sounds like the kids are doing o.k. with everything though,Can't wait until you're in your new home, hopefully this is the only downfall. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.I need to call you, miss talking to you.