Sunday, June 7, 2009

It's going to be ok..

Today was our first day at a new church. My kids were really nervous. Carter kept asking, "what if the kids are bullies to me?" to which we could only respond, "they'll be nice." We wanted to be a little early and try to meet a few people, but we can't manage to make it to church by 12:30. I'm not used to driving 15 minutes to church! We made it though and even got a seat. The place was packed! I expected a much smaller turnout, but there were a lot of people! The kids got settled in their primary classes, we headed to Gospel Doctrine, and all was well. I don't think I could ever teach Gospel Doctrine out here though. Utah people were super nice and made helpful comments. Maybe people just knew not to throw controversy my way. Only on a rare occasion did someone make a comment that I couldn't respond to. Here, there were some comments that would have given me a heart attack! The guy was a good teacher!
Relief Society was good too. The people were very nice and the president reminded me of my old president in Utah, Rita. She was just one of those people who had it all together and you could just tell that she loved everyone in there! Someone even told me they really liked my hair!!! That's a big deal for me since I have such difficult hair.
After church was when the real fun begins. One guy came up and asked me if Carter would like to come to cub scouts this week as they were taking a tour of the detention center. I said, "that'd be really fun, but he's only 7. He has another year before scouts." Not in Tennessee! He said they start at 7 here!!! Carter is really excited for that! Then we met a girl who will live on the next street over from us once we close on our house. Yeah! I'll have a friend. Then there was a girl from Utah that just moved here a month ago. She said there is a Facebook group for the ladies in the ward. I need to look into that too.
All in all, I think it's going to be ok here. The kids were fine in their classes and Carter even made a friend! It's a good thing the church is true wherever you go! It makes finding friends a lot easier!

2 comments:

The Brown's said...

Chari that makes my heart happy! I am glad that things went well on your first time at church:O) We think of you often!

Kristy said...

I'm so glad your first week was a success and that people were friendly. We sure miss you though.